LISTEN TO THE NEWS HERE  - ECOUTEZ
LISTEN TO THE NEWS HERE - ECOUTEZ
Ebola toll climbs in DR Congo as WHO warns virus spread may accelerate
Loading
/

The World Health Organization (WHO) says the Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has grown to around 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, warning that the true scale is likely much higher because of delays in detecting infections.

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that 51 cases had been confirmed in DR Congo and two in neighbouring Uganda, where both infected people had travelled from Congo. One of the Ugandan patients has died.

The outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, is believed to have started “a couple of months ago”. On Sunday, the WHO declared the crisis a public health emergency of international concern, while stressing it had not reached pandemic level.

The epicentre remains Ituri province, particularly the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara, as well as Bunia and Nyakunde. Cases have also been reported in North Kivu, including Goma and Butembo.

Health officials say hospitals are under severe pressure, with some healthcare workers among the dead. Local staff report shortages of protective equipment as teams race to contain the virus in a region already destabilised by years of conflict.

The Bundibugyo species, last seen more than a decade ago, is harder to combat because there is no approved vaccine or targeted treatment currently available.

Share this…

Piers Potter

LAISSER UN COMMENTAIRE

S'il vous plaît entrez votre commentaire!
S'il vous plaît entrez votre nom ici